With the start of National Child Protection Week which kicks off today 27Th May 2016, and runs until the 2nd June, it’s essential to remember that children are our future. Their dreams and potential will shape tomorrow. So how do we keep them safe?
Here are 10 tips to help protect these little minds:
1. Get to know your children. A close relationship or bond with them will help you determine if anything is wrong.
2. Educate your children about the dangers they face. Discuss topics like drug use, alcohol abuse, sex and peer pressure.
3. Abuse, sexual assault, abduction and violence are some of the challenges faced by youth today. Teach children not to go anywhere alone or with strangers.
4. A home is a place where a child should feel safe and loved. Ensure a healthy family environment. Set a good example.
5. Never leave children unattended or in an unsafe environment. If your children are left in the care of someone else, ensure the person can be trusted.
6. Ensure your children know their names, your name and who to contact in case of an emergency when they are of age.
7. Teach your children about responsibility. Put reasonable rules in place but also remember not to be overprotective.
8. Pay attention to them, listen to them, and spend time with them. Be involved in your child’s life.
9. Pay attention to changes in personality or attitude. This could be a signal that something is wrong.
10. Teach children about the use of social media, the internet and cellular phones. They should be made aware of the dangers and rules should be put in place to protect them.
Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children. – Walt Disney
CHILDLINE SA 0800 05 55 55
Social Development: 0800 60 10 11